Communicative Disorders Program

                Communicative Disorders Program Website 
             ~ The location where you will find all information related to the program, from undergraduate to graduate to clinical work.

​              Prospective Students' page on the CD webpage
              Communicative Disorders Blog & Job announcements
​             Department of Special Education program webiste  http://spedcd.sfsu. edu/
                 ~ Where you will find information about declaring SPED as a minor


American Speech-language Association

This is the official website for ASHA. "The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association is the professional, scientific, and credentialing association for 135,000 members and affiliates who are speech-language pathologists, audiologists, and speech, language, and hearing scientists in the United States and internationally." (from their website)

This is the official website for NSSLHA. "Founded in 1972, NSSLHA is the national organization for graduate and undergraduate students interested in the study of normal & disordered human communication. It is the only official national student association recognized by the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA)." (from their website)

National Student Speech Language Hearing Association

This is the official website for CSHA. "CSHA is a professional non-profit organization to promote speech and hearing to children and adults with communication and related challenges." (from their website)

California Speech Language-Hearing Association

"Since 1982, Support for Families of Children with Disabilities has offered information, education, and parent-to-parent support free of charge to families of children with any kind of disability or special health care need in San Francisco." (from their website)

Support for Families

with a SLP/CD Bachelor's Degree

Speech Language Pathology and Audiology

With a bachelor's degree in Speech Language Pathology/Communicative Disorders one can go on to gain a master's in speech language pathology or audiology. Both of these careers can be interesting and rewarding. Speech language pathologist's work with children and adults with conditions that make communication difficult or impossible. These professionals work to help correct speech, language, swallowing, fluency or cognitive communication difficulties. Possible work environments include hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, and nursing homes.

Audiologists are experts in the non medical diagnosis and management of disorders of the auditory and balance systems. They specialize in the identification and assessment of hearing and balance problems, rehabilitation of persons with hearing and balance disorders, and prevention of hearing loss. Possible work environments include areas of health care which include hospitals, private and group practice, as well as residential health and long-term care facilities. Educational settings include K-12 schools, colleges, universities, state schools, and intermediate facilities for children with developmental disabilities.

What can I do with an SLP/CD bachelor's degree other than go to graduate school in speech-language pathology (MS-SLP) or audiology (AuD)?

During the process of obtaining a bachelor's degree in Speech Language Pathology/Communicative Disorders some people may discover that speech language pathology or Audiology is not really for them. It is important to be aware of all the career options and graduate programs available to those who obtain a SLP/CD bachelor's degree.

To explore career options outside of speech language pathology & audiology,
connect with San Francisco State University's College of Education here:

Speech-language pathologists generally need a master's degree in the field in order to gain employment. However, there are 7 states in the U.S. which allow a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree to work as a school-based SLP (some may require a teaching certificate and/or state license). The 7 are: Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, and Oregon. Requirements vary depending on the state, county, city, and district. Contact the school board in the your area of interest to learn about specific requirements. For more information refer to ASHA’s State Requirements document.

Graduates of a bachelor's degree program are eligible for the following positions with some additional training:

•   Speech-language pathology assistants (SLPA)
•    Speech technician
•   Speech pathologist technician
•   Rehab technician
•   Human language technology technician
•   Work in related areas.

Optional graduate programs include:

•   Special education
•   Social work
•   Rehabilitation or mental health counseling
•   Public health (MPH)
•   Health education
•   Health law
•   Law
•   Medicine
•   General education
Other careers include:

•   Research and development
•   Marketing and promotion
•   Sales for health products companies
•   Academic advising
•   Technology support
•   Community outreach programs​
•   Assisting families
•    Emplotment search firms